Monday, February 23, 2009

Joy brings Hope to Moldova





Moldova is forgotten. It is a country that has suffered under the rule of harsh communism. It is lacking in smiles and laughter. It almost seems that the coldness of the air has infiltrated the hearts of the people here…

In all the gloom, there is a glimmer of hope that I see: a community of people who come alive, who laugh and smile, who embrace each other warmly. These are the people I have met at Bridge of Hope. They have created a world for themselves-a world that is silent, yet beautiful….it is silent because they are deaf. The silence has isolated them from the rest of society; and so, they cling to each other for love and support.

It has been my honor to be invited into this community of sweet souls during my time in Moldova. From my conversations with the Deaf here, I have found that this population has experienced significant oppression and discrimination, all because they do not have a voice to speak out against the injustices they encounter. My time and energy is spent on a few specific tasks in the hopes of raising awareness about the Deaf in Moldova, as well as promoting empowerment, self-awareness, and self-advocacy. Primarily, I am working to create a basic curriculum on self-awareness and self-advocacy that I will leave behind for the director of Bridge of Hope. With the curriculum I create, I facilitate weekly group discussions among the Deaf at the organization. Lastly, I am writing up the stories of all the Deaf who are currently participating in Bridge of Hope’s educational program. Their stories will be sent to their sponsor to be posted on the organization’s future website.

This has been an incredible growing experience for me. I am learning so much from these people, and I love every minute I spend with them.
If you would like more information on the Deaf in Moldova, feel free to contact me at: Joy_Pfanner@baylor.edu. I would love to share the little that I know with anyone who is interested.

Blessings to you and yours from afar….

1 comment:

  1. You are so beautiful inside and out. God is richly blessing His precious people in Moldova whom He loves so much through YOU! I am so proud of you, Joy. I pray your heart continues to be encouraged, strengthened, and moved. Love you!

    ReplyDelete