Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pushing through...


So all three of us have been so busy, that the posts have been few and far between. Thanks to those who are following, praying, and supporting us in our work here. The picture above is of cards and sweet notes that I have recieved from my amazing family and fiance. Thanks guys!!
I am not sure that we knew just exactly how amazingly intense and enlightening this experience would be. We knew we would get to see more of the world and have an exciting opportunity to put everything we have learned in our education into practice in a country that, honestly, needs all the help it can get. We did not realize how it would change us though. Being away from home for an extended period of time forces one to get into touch with a side (or sides) of themself that they usually overlook. Facing the realities of the world and the layers of myself at the same time has been trying, but fruitful. I have a firmer grasp on what I have to offer and where I need to grow and I have a little bit more insight into the complication and confusion that is poverty, oppression, human rights, etc. I sit here knowing that this time is coming to an end. In just a few weeks all three of us will be plopped back into the world and culture that we left only a short time ago, though it seems like we have been here for a much longer time. Maybe the "culture shock" will be overwhelming as we step back into consistency and comfort. Maybe it will be refreshing. I know that I am ready to get home and see the people that I love and miss with all of my heart, but as I prepare to leave Moldova behind, I am curious what I will do with this experience. I have just about completed the class requirements and will graduate in May, but what will I do with what I have seen? Will I remember it as a study abroad opportunity that I have some neat pictures and cool stories or will I allow this growth to shape not only what I do, but who I become? If nothing else, at least I know that I am capable of pushing through challenging times.

No comments:

Post a Comment