Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MALLdova

Who knew thata FOUR story shopping mall would open in Chisinau before three lonely American girls arrived?? Providential? I would be willing to argue that point.

So we had the impression that conservative, dark attire that did not make a statement was the way to dress in Moldova. We packed accordingly with lots of pants, skirts, and sweaters. No heels, very little jewelry. Little did we know that not only are there a ton of beautiful women, they dress well. ALL THE TIME. Fashion before function seems to be the mantra of most women in this city. Boots, boots, boots. Great boots. With high heels. Of every color. Great boots. We needed some. So we spent the first two Saturdays in Chisinau upping the ante that is our wardrobe.

We also all have new hair. I have bangs, I cut them myself. Joy's hair is short now, Leah's is shorter than before and she has side bangs. The first morning that I came upstairs with my new hair, boots and skinny jeans, our supervisor Connie and her friend Olga said with suprise, "You look good Megan!!" Wow. Who knew?

Don't worry though...we are experiencing simplicity in other ways. Like...food. We are not exactly used to the cuisine that is Moldovan food. I am not sure that this adjustment will ever happen. Lets just say, as soon as I get off the plane we are heading straight to a steak house. I forgot what it tastes like already. Also, walking. We walk a lot. We use public transportation a lot. Its a good experience, but I never realized how many personal space issues I had. My biggest issue is that I really really enjoy having my personal space and I lose that a lot here. A lot. I can handle it though, how many times have I said that in this blog? We can handle it. We can, we are a force. More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment